Thursday 17 December 2015

bGallery exhibits Iain Grant's beautiful artwork

Image
I started painting a long time ago, as a way of relaxing during a busy working life in emergency medicine. Initially I worked in oils almost exclusively, but being in the Navy at the time, this was difficult at sea for a lot of reasons, not least that everyone complained about the smell. Now I like to work in the medium which to me suits the subject best. I love the freedom and relative unpredictability of watercolour, the softness of pastel, and the forgiveness of acrylics.
I’m learning all the time, and experimenting, sometimes with less than happy results, but we won't dwell on them. I have been influenced by many, and helped by lots of people who have been willing to share tips and trade secrets. Some of you may be reading this. You know who you are. My thanks to all! A style of my own is emerging, but I get bored painting in the same way all the time, so there are lots of differences between my works.
I've really enjoyed having more time to devote to my painting, and beginning to promote and sell work though i would still rather "be in the studio", since I (semi) retired. I'm a member of "Drawn to the Valley", the Tamar Valley Artists Network, and participate in their exhibitions as well as the annual Open Studios. I also have work in some local galleries and have exhibited in the West Country from Bath to St Ives.
I enjoy painting with other people at my local art group, in Buckland Monachorum in Devon, and sharing what I can with others. I've taught medicine all my life and enjoy teaching painting too, but find watercolour demonstrations terrifying. Whatever is possible to go wrong almost always seems to. Workshops where the students are doing most of the work are must better for the nerves. 
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment