Tuesday, 23 February 2016

The story of 'Frank' By Artist Roy Meats .........

The start of something BIG?   By Roy Meats

Chapter One
……Frank is a scarecrow from Gloucester.  He was well looked after for years and was a happy scarecrow.   Each winter he was bought in from the cold and was re-stuffed, had new clothes and then put back out in the spring.  This went on for years then suddenly it stopped.  He was not bought in and the farm was being neglected, all because the farmer had become old and ill and unable to look after the farm and had no one to help him.
The farm became run-down; fields were unploughed and full of weeds.
‘There was no use for a scarecrow’
Eventually Frank was taken from the field and shoved up against an old disused barn where he stayed here for years.  One day a van arrived at the farm - Frank and all of the farmers’ belongings were put in the van they drove for hours eventually when the van did stop Frank and the farmer were somewhere on the coast!

The farm had been sold and the farmer had retired to the seaside, he had become just too old to look after the farm.  The farmer had always been a busy man and he could not get used to just doing nothing day in and day out.  He decided to become a deckchair seller and for novelty would use Frank to advertise his deckchairs.  Frank was happy again he now had a purpose.
 And this is where Frank’s story begins…………………… to follow
Roy Meats biography
I was born in Nottingham City Centre in 1958. The son of a long Distant Lorry Driver and a Lace Maker, cobbled street were still the norm.
I was always painting and drawing with my dad he loved pictures of Galleon ships. My work was always exhibited at school and I then became fascinated with nature in all its forms.
Having to leave Nottingham due to my father’s work, we settled in the small market town of Atherstone. A whole new world had opened up as nature and wildlife was on my doorstep.
All of my spare time was now spent walking the fields and hedgerows collecting and studying nature, all flora, trees, rocks etc.
I started to sell paintings whilst still at school. My first medium was pencils and water colours, extending into pen & ink, oil acrylic and then enamels.
When I left school I became an apprentice in painting and decorating, studying colour, designs and specialist finishes as part of this training. I developed a flair for sign-writing which eventually became my main source of income.
As painting was still part of my life, I organised my first exhibition in Atherstone Anglia Building Society. The pictures that were on display were mainly all animals.
Upon completing my apprenticeship, I set up my own sign-writing company this was in 1983. I was working mainly for all the different breweries up and down the country. I painted pictorial signs for pubs as there was a big demand for hand painted signs. I was also still selling my paintings and getting commissions for peoples pets etc.
In addition I started designing and producing painted fire screens, clocks and furniture. These were mainly sold at Country Fairs and Country Stores.
My second exhibition took place at Riversley Park Gallery, Nuneaton. This was a complete sell out of all my products and pictures.
With the demise of the brewing industry, the demand for signs and sign writing declined. I took a new direction into painting murals in children’s bedrooms, hotel themed rooms and children’s play areas throughout England and Europe.
My most recent murals have been painted in Father Hudson’s Care Homes in Coleshill. With further work commissioned.
Throughout this period, I have still carried on painting and still do commission work for people. More recently I have decided to take my painting one step further and branch out in limited edition prints. By going down this route I am making my pictures accessible to more people at an affordable price.



No comments:

Post a Comment