Thursday 7 May 2015

x bGallery Welcomes Artist Dawn Brimicombe







I am a visual Artist working in Encaustic Painting & Mixed Media born in Brixton, London now working from my Studio in East Devon/Dorset border not far from Lyme Regis.
Over the years I have worked with many different mediums, I now choose to paint using bees wax and damar resin known as encaustic wax medium.  I make my own medium in the studio using filtered bees wax which has been treated to remove the natural yellow of the bees wax, it produces a clear glossy finish almost like glass when used with or without damar resin.
Encaustic painting has a wonderful translucent quality, it is always exciting and often experimental.
Using natural brushes I apply the medium onto birch wood, sometimes I use driftwood or found items such as stone, ceramic, I fuse multiple layers of wax onto the surface using various heat tools, my preferred method is a heat gun, after heating and fusing I then scrape, incise & embed into the wax using ebony, organic materials, pigments  & found objects. For my Photo-Encaustic I use my own original artwork or my own digital images which are then transferred or poured directly onto the surface creating a  luminous & transparent quality. 
Encaustic wax painting has grown in popularity dating back from the 5th Century B.C. - it is now becoming a popular choice to use wax as an alternative to acrylics & is also a wonderful medium to use with photographic images making it an exciting new medium for photographers to experiment and explore.
 I am passionate about what I do and hope to inspire others, in between working with wax I also run workshops in Mixed Media & Papier Mache in which wax is incorporated.

I have exhibited in group exhibitions at the Arndean Gallery, Cork Street & the OXO Gallery, London as well as many other Galleries across the UK.  If you wish to visit me in the Studio please email to arrange a convenient time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment