Wednesday 21 March 2012

Welcome to Martin Davis ~ exhibiting in b Gallery art directory around the world.


Biography
I grew up in the coalfields of Derbyshire in the UK during the 1950’s and 60’s, painting and drawing from an early age - as soon as I could grasp a brush or pencil in fact. My art has always been a private passion, one that I've carried with me ever since childhood, through the 1970’s as a student and on into my adult life.
I graduated from the University of Birmingham, UK in 1976 with an honours degree in Economics and spent the next 30 years in the UK Fire & Rescue service. I only turned fully to painting from 2008 after I left the service and found the time to devote to it.
In 2010 I was shortlisted for the Art of Giving, National Art Competition at the Saatchi Gallery, London.
About my art
I consider myself a modern traditionalist painter. My subject matter may vary, in so far as I don’t have a consistent theme or thread running through my work, although I am always moved by what may lie behind superficial appearances. My imagination is usually fired by something I find in everyday things, things that are often linked to a memory from the past. Sometimes just part of a remembered image-even a simple one like the way sunlight plays on a hat brim-is all it takes. For me there is a kind of strength, even beauty, inside everything if you look closely enough – it doesn’t have to be anything intrinsically pretty, or attractive or especially worthy of attention. In my experience quite often it is better if it isn’t.
I am largely self taught and consider myself a student practicing art; probably I always will. I produce work in numerous different media but my heart lies in oils because I love its plasticity and textural qualities. Perhaps because of my love of handling paint producing art for me has always been as much about the creative process itself as the end product.
Above all what I get out of art is a kind of endless, compulsive challenge. When I get up from painting I feel an immediate compulsion to go straight back to it again and as long as the drive remains I will always paint.
My greatest hope is that my art might reach out to the observer, mean something more than just a passing glance or strike a chord within them they were perhaps unaware even existed. Showing my work means laying myself bare but it is something I love to do as it makes it possible for me to make a connection with others......but it’s not why I paint, it never was. Painting for me just calms the soul.

To see more of Martin's amazing work in his own exhibition area in b Gallery art directory and the opportunity to purchase direct from the artist himself ~ Please click on his very own link as below:

http://www.bgallery.co.uk/artist-profile.asp?artistid=390

No comments:

Post a Comment